Upward Basketball 2021
Are you looking for a fun, Christian environment for your child to play sports?
Join us at Upward Basketball! Your children will not only learn the basics of the sport, but will also learn good character skills, sportsmanship, and team building. Our 2021 program is designed for children 3rd - 8th grade.
We are sorry to say that at this point, we are unable to offer Cheerleading for the 2021 season. If you or someone you know is interested in leading our Cheerleading team, please contact Faye Umble at 352-787-1829.
Social Distancing Procedures and Guidelines
Due to the current COVID pandemic, our 2021 program will look a little different than years past. It is important to us that the safety of everyone involved with the program remain a top priority. In order to stay in compliance with CDC Guidelines and the guidelines of the Florida United Methodist Church Conference, we will be implementing the following safety procedures this year. When you register your child for the program, you understand that you, your child, your family, and other guests who may attend, will follow the guidelines listed below.
- Masks must be worn by everyone while inside the Family Life Center. Children may remove their masks while playing or practicing.
- Family groups must stay 6 feet apart from other family groups. Chairs will be set up with social distancing in mind around the Family Life Center.
- There will be limitations to how many people may be in the building at one time. This means that your family may only be allowed to have 1 or 2 adults with your children during practices and games. The number of adults allowed per family will be determined after we know our registration numbers.
- Cleanliness is very important! Hand sanitizer stations will be available for you to use when in the building. Each team will also have sanitizer available to use. Sports equipment will also be sanitized before, during, and after practices and games.
- Online registration and evaluations are encouraged this year. You can find the registration and evaluation information below.
- Uniform sizing will not be done in person. We ask that you make the best determination you can when registering your child.
This year, we are offering online registration through Upward. This will allow you to pay online with your Debit or Credit Card and will allow you to choose uniform sizing and fill out basketball evaluations yourself.
Registration costs per child for Basketball is $75.
This cost includes a full uniform including basketball shorts.
We do have Scholarship Forms that are available upon request. This form needs to be filled out before registering online. To request a form either email firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the Church Office.
You can also download the Registration Form by clicking the button below or stop by the Church Office to pick up a Registration Form.
If paying by cash or check, please drop it off in the Church Office with your registration paperwork or bring your payment to your in person evaluation. Checks can be made out to Community UMC with Upward on the memo line.
Evaluations, Orientation, and Schedule
Everyone must either attend a Basketball Evaluation in person by making an appointment or fill out information about your child's skill level when registering online.
In Person Evaluation:
If you would prefer for a coach to evaluate your child's skill level in person, you will need to make an appointment with Jose Irizarry, our director. You can schedule an appointment for the following days:
Tuesday, December 1 between 6:00 - 8:00 pm.
Thursday, December 3 between 6:00 - 8:00 pm.
To schedule, please email Jose at email@example.com.
If you would prefer to do your evaluation online, you will answer the following questions when going through the registration process. Please make the best determination you can. Once the season starts, if we see that your child's skill level is above or below what you have determined, we will make adjustments as best we can. We want your child to be successful and proud of their accomplishments!
- What is your child's dribbling skill level? 1-beginner, 2-average, 3-above average.
- What is your child's overall skill level? 1-beginner, 2-average, 3-above average.
- What is the height of your child in inches?
If you are unsure about your child's skill level, choose the skill level you think is most appropriate.
Our Orientation and Meet the Coaches Night will be on Thursday, December 17 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm. Those playing in the Primary league (3rd-4th grade) will meet from 6:00 - 7:00 pm. Those playing in the Secondary league (5th-8th grade) will meet from 7:00 - 8:00 pm.
This time is to go over the expectations for the season, meet coaches and teammates, pick up uniforms, and get to know one another.
Our Upward Basketball League has 2 time slots. Students on the Primary team (3rd-4th grade) practice and play from 6:00 - 7:00 pm. Students on the Secondary team (5th-8th grade) practice and play from 7:00 - 8:00 pm. Below are important dates to remember. A final schedule will be given out at Orientation Night.
Meet the Coaches Night and First Practice - Thursday, December 17
First Game - Thursday, January 7, 2021
Last Game and Awards Celebration - Thursday, February 25
During the season, weekly practices will be on Tuesdays and games will be on Thursdays, between 6-8pm, depending on age level.